Domestic Violence

Domestic violence and emotional abuse are behaviors used by one person in a relationship to control the other. Examples of abuse include name-calling or putdowns, keeping a partner from contacting their family or friends, withholding money, stopping a partner from getting or keeping a job, actual or threatened physical harm, sexual assault, stalking, and intimidation. Violence takes many forms and can happen all the time or once in a while.

Anyone can be a victim! Victims can be of any age, sex, race, culture, religion, education, employment, or marital status. Although both men and women can be abused, most victims are women. Children in homes where there is domestic violence are more likely to be abused and/or neglected. Most children in these homes know about the violence. Even if a child is not physically harmed, they may have emotional and behavioral problems.

If you are being abused, remember:

  • You are not alone
  • It is not your fault
  • Help is available

If you are a victim of Domestic Violence, you have the right to file a petition with the court requesting an order for protection from domestic abuse which could include any of the following:

  • An order restraining your abuser from further acts of abuse
  • An order directing your abuser to leave your household
  • An order awarding you custody of your minor child or children
  • An order restraining your abuser from interfering with minor children in your custody
  • An order preventing your abuser from entering your residence, school, business, or place of employment

Additional No-Contact Orders

There are several different types of orders prohibiting an individual from contacting another.

Some are taken out at the request of the prosecutor or court in criminal matters and are not necessarily at the request of the victim. These orders are commonly known as pre-trial no-contact orders (contained in the conditions of release) and post-conviction no-contact orders (contained in the judgment and sentence).

Other orders can be obtained by a petitioner in the absence of criminal charges and are known as civil no-contact orders. Applications may be obtained at the county clerk's office. Be sure you are petitioning the correct court and using the correct forms. Details about the different types of civil no-contact orders can be found on the Franklin County Superior Court Clerk's web page.